Tokyo, Japan

So, something happened in Tokyo. That something is that I LOVE TOKYO! Did I expect to like it? Of course! Did I expect to freaking love it like crazy? I had no idea how much I would love it here.
We stayed in Asakusa, a quiet neighborhood. I felt like I could live there! It is super quiet and full of tiny, cozy, comforting restaurants and shops. It had the feeling of a small town in a big, bustling, crazy, different city.
A quick walk took us right to Sensoji- the famous temple. It was amazing! It was beautiful and crazy and different from what I'm used to. I love that for something so popular, there was still a sense of tranquility. Amazing. Everything here is so orderly and courteous. It made Tokyo a very comfortable place to travel.
I couldn't resist participating in some cleansing rituals. I think I was wafting some incense into my body and getting good luck by rubbing this statue? I'm not sure, but I definitely didn't want to miss out.
Of course we had to go to Tokyo's center city. It was wild compared to our sweet neighborhood with lots of music playing and big billboards. I've heard people compare it to Time's Square. I would say it is similar, but definitely a more toned down version. Oh and we crossed the street at the world's busiest intersection! It looked like a mad house, but worked.
There are pockets of peace tucked away all over Toyko. Lots of big parks and little parks. In general it feels really peaceful here (especially our neighborhood). Everyone is incredibly kind and polite and thoughtful.
I loved popping into the little and big shops. There are so many unique-to-me things here and I just felt charmed by it all. Products to peel the dry skin off your feet? Cool. Sweat pads for the bottom of your feet? Face masks but only for your lips! Strawberry cheesecake flavored kit kats! I know I'm a sucker.
Every experience in Tokyo just felt really special. From walking around windy, narrow streets and finding alleys full of lit lanterns to seeing the view of the city from a window at Starbucks. I know I had my rose colored glasses on, but man. Tokyo is wonderful.



Comments